What Makes an Event Successful?
What makes an event successful? Is it the people who attend, the food and drinks they consume, or their actions after the event? No surprise, it’s a variety of success factors … but primarily, it’s what you do before the event that has the most impact on your event’s success:
- Strategy – define purpose, target audience, goals and objectives and budget
- Design – create an event that engages your guests to achieve results
- Venue – consider location, amenities and customer service, as well as capacity, cost and cleanliness
- Marketing – communicate what, when, where, what and how to guests – in a diverse manner (print, email, social media, blog, video, word-of-mouth) with sufficient lead-time. Really focus your message on what the event is and why this audience needs to be there.
- Team – the most important success factor, in my opinion, is your team – the production team, as well as vendors, sponsors, volunteers and front-line personnel (registration, waitstaff). Your team has the incredible responsibility of executing event details and servicing your guests (to facilitate results); therefore, everyone must be “on the same page”, work in harmony and share the same vision.
Have I overlooked an important success factor? What would you add to the list? Please leave a comment below to share your thoughts. I look forward to it!